Archive | Bed RSS feed for this section

Issues in the bed…

28 Aug

Had some free time on my hands so I cut out the last of the rusty bolts that were rattling around on the bed sides and cross sills, added some 2.25″ blocks (cut from 2×2″ scrap) under the front sill and finally mounted my rear bumper.



No more junk in her trunk

2 Feb

Got a warm winter weekend so I cut out the rotten sheet of plywood and the original bed strips in preparation for new wood and stainless strips this spring.

The original strips were so far gone that I just used bolt cutters on em and a small sledge to break up the wood.


The bed front is shot too. Not sure yet if I’ll patch in the lower half or just replace the entire panel.


Makin’ progress.

13 Aug

Got a little more cutting and sanding done on the stake sides over the weekend. Decided to add a removable board over the gate that slips in between the end pieces and is held in place with removable 1/4″ pins. …I’m pretty proud of the whole shebang. Came out pretty nice for eyeballing the entire thing.

Still needs a couple flat washers, lock washers all round, a bit more sanding and a few coats of varnish.








As far as the ol’ girl running goes, I have the pump. Just need to get around to checking all the lines and installing it.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

A bit of wood work on a warm summer’s eve…

4 Aug

After returning a ton of stuff to the local big box hardware mega center with no receipt and ending up with a small fortune in store credit, I figured I’d buy what I needed to build the low stake sides I’d been thinking about adding.
Went with 1×4″ white pine for the sides and a 1×6″ for the front. At the rear above the gate I’ll be adding a single 1×6″ removable piece that attaches with cotter pins. All hardware will be stainless.

As the sun set I could see lightening to the west as a storm moved in so I was only able to get the posts, sides and front cut and drilled. …not too shabby for mocking it all up by sight and eye-balling all my cuts and holes.





Better pictures to come…
The plan is to cut the final pieces then sand and start varnishing everything this week.

Since the rain blew in I figured I’d switch gears and work on the horn for a bit. Sounds great, just needs paint.


(Cool site on the Delco Remy Division of GM –

As for getting the ol’ girl running, I’m waiting on a dual action glass bowl fuel pump that is currently en route before pulling things apart. Currently she runs well enough to move her in and out of the garage and around the block. …I don’t dare go any further than that for fear of another tow.

Knob and Chains

26 Jul

New shift knob and stainless tailgate chains installed!


(Trick to installing the shift knob is to nuke it for 30sec. then smack it on w/a rubber mallet.)